Health Insurance

National Health Insurance

Austria has a good public national insurance system with local public providers (Österreichische Gesundheitskasse) in all nine federal states. Under certain conditions, foreign national insurance carriers cover the costs for medical treatment of acute illness in Austria. Therefore, we recommend you to contact your health insurance provider in your home country and enquire about this and if available, procure the necessary forms from them.

If you are a student or visiting researcher from an EU/EEA country or Switzerland and are in possession of valid national health insurance in your home country, you need the European Health Insurance Card. This card is issued by your health insurance provider.

Bachelor's or Master's Degree students as well students of Preparation Programmes who do not fall into the above-mentioned categories may themselves take out a health insurance policy ("Studierendenselbstversicherung") with the relevant Gebietskrankenkasse.

Self-insured students have to pay an insurance fee of approx. EUR 65 per month.