Home International Degree Seeking Students New Students Language Skills & Certificates

Language Skills & Certificates

Demonstrating proficient language skills is essential for actively engaging in your chosen degree program. Depending on the degree you opt for, you will need to demonstrate your language proficiency for the program by either undergoing a language test or submitting an official language certificate.


  • B2, or higher
  • This doesn’t apply to you if you are from a German-speaking country, such as Germany, Liechtenstein or Switzerland.


  • B2 or higher
  • TOEFL 78
  • IELTS 6.0 certificate
  • Do you want to take a TOEFL test? You can use our university’s TOEFL code (9775) and share your results with our institution directly.
  • We understand that your university instruction might have been fully taught in English, however FH Upper Austria has a language policy where all applicants (with the exception of nationalities of USA, Canada, United Kingdom, Ireland, Australia and New Zealand) are required to produce an official and current (max. 2 years old) IELTS (min 6.0) or TOEFL (min. 78 points) English certificate. We do not accept TOEIC or Duolingo certificates.

Authentications and Translations

We accept original documents in German or English. In other languages, you need to have your documents translated. Legalization is required for authentication of documents and signatures. Which one applies, depends on the country that issued your documents.

  • no legalization necessary
  • authentication by apostille
  • full diplomatic legalization

If you need translations, do them after legalization.