We provide the answers to your questions 

Home FAQ

How/where do I apply?

  1. Complete the online application form. LINK
  2. Upload all the required documents. You can only submit your application if all required documents are uploaded. We are particularly interested in all information regarding your academic education (certificates, subjects and hours).
  3. Your applications must contain scans of the following documents: Bachelor Certificate, Transcript of Records (of your Bachelor degree), Passport and Birth Certificate, Motivation Letter, CV, English Certificate (IELTS min. 6.0, TOEFL min. 78 or program specific), Secondary School Leaving Certificate ("A-levels", High School Diploma), filled prerequisite form (program specific)
  4. Qualifications from non-EU/EEA countries need to be formally checked through UniAssist. Find more information below.
  5. We will check your documents and give you feedback. If you meet all the formal requirements we will arrange an interview via Skype or MS Teams.
  6. We will inform you whether or not your application has been successful within a few weeks after all applicants have been interviewed.

Which documents are needed?


  • High school diploma
  • High school transcript (grades sheet)
  • CV / resume
  • Letter of motivation (max. 500 words)
  • English Language Proficiency Certificate (see academic requirements)
  • Non-EU citizens require a Document Verification Certificate from UniAssist (see below for more detail)


  • Diploma
  • Transcript of Academic Records

Please also check the degree programme-specific requirements on their website.

What is Uni Assist?

For qualifications from non-EU/EEA countries, we have made adaptation in our online application platform. To check formally required documents, we are using the services of Uni Assist*, a widely used system in Germany. You will be re-routed to this system during the application process. Its core responsibility is the evaluation of international school and university certificates and determining their equivalence to Austrian educational standards. Services also include processing individual entry requirements of the target universities.

Language certificates

Applicants for the School of Engineering must have a B2 proficiency level in German or English language (depending on the tuition language of the study programme) at the time of their application. Depending on the language of tuition of the chosen study programme, language certificates for German (at least B2) or English (IELTS 6.0 or higher; TOEFL iBT 78 points or higher) must be presented. Exemption for citizens from from USA, Canada, UK, Ireland, Australia and New Zealand are exempt.


The following requirements must be met for acceptance in one of the university’s degree programmes.


  • High School Certificate/ A-levels or
  • Secondary School Vocational Certificate or
  • University Entrance Exam or
  • Approved foreign school leaving certificate
  • FH Study Preparatory Programme


  • completion of a relevant Bachelor's degree of at least 180 ECTS (or equivalent) form a recognised institution in Austria or abroad

Please note that the detailed entry requiremets for a Bachelor’s / a Master’s degree programme in Austria vary across different countries and higher education systems. Non-EU/EEA qualifications are therefore reviewed and checked by UniAssist.

In addition, some programmes require subject specific prerequisites, i.e. previous knowledge in certain areas. Please fill in the according pre-requisites form, listing all passed academic courses including grading and credit information for the according subject areas.

Where to apply for a student residence permit?

In order to study in Austria for more than 6 months (i.e., for a full degree), you will need a student residence permit for the duration of one year. This permit needs to be extended annually.

You can either apply for a residence permit for students at the competent Austrian representative authority in your country of residence or at the competent residence authority within Austria after lawful entry and during lawful residence. Nationalities who are entitled for visa-free entry to Austria are encouraged to apply for the student residence permit directly at the responsible Austrian public authority (Magistrat or Bezirkshautpmannschaft; depending on your place of residence in Austria) upon arrival.

For further details please check https://oead.at/en/to-austria/entry-and-residence/.

Visa Info

Citizens of EU member states, European Economic Area (EEA) and Switzerland do not need a visa for entering the Republic of Austria.

Nationals of other countries might require a visa in order to enter the Schengen Area or the Austrian territory.

The correct type of visa depends on the length of your stay in Austria. For stays of up to 180 days (6 months) a visa D is sufficient, while for stays of more than 6 months a student residence permit is required.

Important: note that a visa D cannot be extended in Austria, student residence permits need to be renewed after one year.

Some non-EU/EEA nationalitites are entitled to visa-free entry to Austria and can apply for their student residence permits upon arrival. More information at oead.at/en/to-austria/entry-and-residence/

Please check the links on general information and whether you require a visa or not:



How much is the tuition fee?

The majority of study fees are covered by government. For all BA and MA programs at FH Upper Austria a contribution of EUR 727 per semester applies + EUR 25 ÖH (Austrian Student Union) contribution for students from non-EU states. A merit-based scholarship can be awarded to international students to recognise prior achievement and performance during studies. It becomes available only after the first semester.

Books and library fees

The University of Applied Sciences does not demand any expensive purchases of study materials from students. Often lecturers provide students with free handouts and online materials. Exceptions for some programs may apply. No library fees need to be paid.

Are there any scholarships for me?

A merit-based scholarship is awarded to international regular students to recognize prior achievement and performance during studies. It becomes available only after the first semester, and covers 50% of the semester tuition fee.

There is a number of other governmental and private scholarships on the following websites: https://scholarships.at/ , https://grants.at/ ,or sometimes also at www.auslaender.at (unfortunately this page only exists in German language). There are different funding options for the individual countries of origin and fields of study.

For foreign students from the EU, EEA and Turkey, funding from the Lifelong Learning Program (LLP) is offered. Information is available at www.lebenslanges-lernen.at

In general, there are only a few support programs that go beyond the entire study period or cover the total costs.

What language proficiency certificates do I need?

Applicants must have a B2 proficiency level in German or English language (depending on the tuition language of the study program) at the time of their application. Depending on the degree program, language certificates for German (at least B2) or English (B2 certificates: Toefl 78-109, IELTS 5.0-6.5, FCE grade B or C, CAE 45-59) must be presented.

Who will help me to apply and adapt at a new place?

Buddies and student ambassadors are the FH OÖ students who volunteered to help internationals with applying to FH, moving to Austria and adapting to the local way of life.

There are currently 12 Student Ambassadors, responsible for one country each. Ambassadors give helpful advice to their country fellows at the stage of application process. After the student is accepted to the program, he or she can get a helping hand from the International Office – a buddy. The buddy can help you with the accommodation choice, meet you at the train station upon your arrival, and give a small introductory tour around the city.

How do I arrange my accommodation and housing?

Here a distinction is made between degree-seeking students and incoming students. Incoming students (who come for an exchange or double/degree program) receive all-round support from the International Office at the respective location. The foreign regular students have to search and book accommodation on their own.

It is fairly easy to find rooms and flats next to FH Campuses. Advertisements can be found in local newspapers and online (even in FB groups). The cheapest accommodation would usually be a room in WG (Wohngemeinschaft), which is a shared flat, and is very common for students here.

Private rooms and apartments, as well as shared flats, can be found here: https://cdn.fh-ooe.at/index.php?id=3168

The first month's rent, and, in most cases, a security deposit must be paid before arrival.


Since Linz is home to eight universities, there are numerous students' halls of residence (rent there starts at about Euro 280/month for a single room):

  • Dr. Karl Grünner Haus, Kaisergasse 33, 4020 Linz, Email: clever-wohnen@ooe-heimbauverein.at, Phone: +43 690 8012894, Web: www.ooe-heimbauverein.at
  • Studentenheim Europahaus, Ziegeleistraße 19, 4020 Linz, Email: clever-wohnen@ooe-heimbauverein.at, Phone: +43 690 8012893, Web: www.ooe-heimbauverein.at




More information



What is the procedure for Non-EU-students before entering Austria?

All those interested in studying in Austria for less than 6 months need to apply for a visa at an Austrian consulate or embassy before coming to Austria.

  • A travel visa C ("Schengenvisa"): entitles you to stay in Austria and in all other Schengen countries for a maximum of 90 days; it is not necessary if you are allowed to enter Austria without a visa
  • A residence visa D (Aufenthaltsvisum D): for stays of at least 91 days up to a maximum of 6 months; not necessary if you are a Japanese national

If you are intending to stay for more than 6 months it is possible to apply for a residence permit for students within Austria (after lawful entry). Please contact the competent Austrian representative authority (embassy, consulate) for further information.

  • A residence permit for students ("Aufenthaltsbewilligung - Student") entitles you to stays for more than 6 months (and up to 12 months). It may be extended within Austria.

To find out more about the visa process, please check the OeAD website (https://oead.at/en/search/?q=student+residence ) for detailed information.

Within 3 working days of arrival in Austria, you have to register with the registration office (Meldeamt) at you place of residence.

What is the situation if I am an EU citizen?

If you are a national of an EU/EEA country or Switzerland, you need no visa to come to Austria. If you have sufficient financial means to finance your stay in Austria and valid health insurance covering all the necessary costs, you only need a valid travel document (passport or identity card) for entry to and residence in Austria. If you are going to stay in Austria for more than 3 months you have to register with the competent municipal authority (Magistrat, Bezirkshauptmannschaft) within 4 months of your stay.

When should I start the application process for a residence permit for students? How long does it take to receive confirmation?

The general processing period for a Residence Permit for students is 90 days. Please note that you may have to start preparations early due to possible required legalization and translation of your documents.

What are the financial requirements for a visa?

You have to prove sufficient financial means to finance your stay: students up to 24 years of age have to prove that they have at least 515,30 Euros per month ; students of 24 years of age or older have to prove that they have at least 933,06 Euros per month [as of 2018] – these amounts have to be proved for a maximum of 12 months – e.g. by means of a savings account or a bank account (the account has to be accessible from Austria); a Declaration of Guarantee from a person living in Austria; proof of purchase of traveller’s cheques for the necessary amount; or a confirmation of the award of a scholarship/grant. If the costs for accommodation exceed 294,65 euros/month, you will have to prove additional funds.

What is valid proof of personal income to finance my stay in Austria that I can show the embassy?

This proof of financial means can be provided in different ways, for example, a savings book or deposits in a bank (the account has to be accessible from Austria), proof of purchase of traveller’s cheques, or a letter of guarantee from a person living in Austria or an institution domiciled in Austria. You may have to provide proof of the origin of your fundings.

Can I renew my residence permit?

Only residence titles (residence permits – Aufenthaltsbewilligung) and settlement permits (Niederlassungsbewilligung) can be renewed in Austria. You have to apply for a renewal before expiry of the original permit. Until a decision about the renewal has been taken you may – even after expiry of your original permit – stay in Austria. To find out more about the admission process, please check the information on the OeAD website.

What is life in Austria like?


A train ticket from the Vienna Airport to Linz may cost from around 14 EUR to 45 EUR, depending on the offer you choose. The Austrian railway company ÖBB offers 'Sparschiene tickets' which have reduced price, and usually appear in the App 'ÖBB' weeks in advance. So, you can easily book a good ticket online several weeks prior to your departure. Please, note, that the ticket doesn't assign you a seat automatically. Place reservation is not necessary in Austria. However, if you are afraid that there will be not enough seats, you can add place reservation to your booking.

Another useful tip for you, before using ÖBB services, is buying a Vorteilscard, which gives a 50% reduction on all ÖBB full-price tickets. It costs around 20 EUR (for youth), and is valid for one year.


Most likely you won't need any public transport if you live in Steyr, Wels or Hagenberg. However, in Linz you will, as it is the 3rd largest city of Austria, which even has an Airport. The city infrastructure is so well-organized, that Linz has won a European Award for Smart Tourism. The fact that Linz was chosen to be the European Capital of Culture in 2009 is testimony to its rich cultural life and its general convivial atmosphere.

Students can apply for an "Active pass", and the public transport ticket would cost then just 13 EUR/month. A regular monthly ticket for all types of public transport in Linz (Linz AG Linien), called 'Transferable monthly pass', costs 46,20 EUR.


Austrian cuisine is composed of influences from Central Europe and throughout the former Austro-Hungarian Empire. Austria is proud of its coffee houses and restaurants, called 'Gasthaus'. In a typical Gasthaus you can get a big meal (for example, Schnitzel mit Pommes) for 9-10 EUR. If you know how to cook, your monthly nutrition budget will be around 160 EUR. To be mentioned, such low-cost supermarkets as Hofer and Penny have very friendly prices.

Have I done everything to prepare myself for studies at FH Upper Austria?

Before Application

  • Did I inform myself about the different possibilities at the University of Applied Sciences Upper Austria? Do I have all required documents? Do I fulfil the entrance requirements? Are my documents legalized and translated? Am I entitled to grants & scholarships?

Before Arrival

  • Did I receive my acceptance letter? For citizens of countries outside the EU/EEA and Switzerland: Do I have the right visa? Did I book accommodation? Did I receive a confirmation? Is my passport valid for the duration of my stay? Did I purchase international health insurance? Do I regularly check my e-mails for updates from the university? Did I inform the administrative assistant and the dormitory about my arrival time?

In the First Days

  • Did I submit my registration form (Meldebestätigung)? Did I apply for full health insurance coverage in Austria? Did I pick up my residence permit? Did I return my contract of study? Did I open a bank account? Did I bring the original documents (…) to the administrative assistant?

Before Departure

  • Did I deregister at the registration office (you will need your registration form)? Did I close my bank account? Did I complete all formalities at the University of Applied Sciences Upper Austria (e.g. degrees and transcript, returning my locker keys, etc.)? Did I return my room key and did I pay all outstanding bills?

Is there any difference between a University of Applied Sciences and a „ordinary“ university?

Formally, the FH degrees (Bachelor / Master) should equal the university degree. However, there is no guarantee that bachelor graduates will be admitted to doctoral studies for master studies. Reasons for this are on the one hand the very restrictive specification of the duration of the study by the legislator and with it connected an "imbalance" to so many university studies and its regular study duration (which is actually an advantage of the FH).

On the other hand, the curriculum of the FH studies provides for a higher level of practical experience, so that the universities require additional performance certificates for admission upon transfer.

Universities of Applied Sciences have NO PhD right yet.

Anyone who goes to the FH, envisages a practice- or career-oriented study with the intention to enter professional life immediately after graduation.

Is the degree recognized in my home country (formal or technical)?

The degree programs of the FH Upper Austria are accredited and recognized by the state. The accreditation granted by the Republic of Austria additionally guarantees international recognition through various bilateral agreements. Diploma supplements are issued for all forms of training in English at the University of Applied Sciences Upper Austria, which should also enable recognition and nostrification abroad.

FH studies are always accredited for a maximum period of five years and only re-admitted by experts after a thorough external evaluation. This ensures that the contents of the training are of a high quality and that the "promised" professional ability of the graduates is given.

How can I apply for exemption from tuition fees on grounds of disability?

Please submit a short written application (e.g. by e-mail) to the head of the degree program including proof of a degree of disability of at least 50% (either disability card of the Federal Social Welfare Office, notification of increased family allowance). The application for exemption needs to be made only once for the entire course of study.

Does the fact that I am receiving a study allowance or maintenance grant mean that I am exempted from tuition fees?

No. Tuition fees also have to be paid in this case. Information about possible grants can be found on the website of the student grant authority.

Can I apply for exemption from tuition fees if I am employed?

No. Tuition fees also have to be paid in this case.

If I am employed, is it possible for the tuition fees to be deducted from income tax?


Is there a social scaling of tuition fees?


Can I be exempted from tuition fees because of maternity leave if I do not interrupt my studies?

No. If you are active as a full student during maternity leave then you are required to pay tuition fees. If you interrupt your studies then for this period, tuition fees do not have to be paid.

Is it possible to have the invoice for my tuition fees made payable by my employer?

No. Since it is the student who enters the educational contract, the invoice will be issued in the name of the student.

Is it possible to pay the tuition fees in instalments?

This is not possible for organizational reasons.

When is the final deadline for payment of tuition fees?

We ask for immediate payment of the tuition fees on receiving the invoice. The final deadline for payment for winter term is 31.10. and for summer term 31.03. If no payment has been received by 31.10. / 31.03. this will result in your deregistration from your degree course. Should you wish to take an examination in the period from 1.-31.10. or 1.-31.3. then the tuition fees must be paid no later than 5 working days before the exam.

Can I take exams or use FH-OÖ services (e.g. access to learning platforms) if I have not yet paid the tuition fees?

No. This requires payment of the tuition fees.

If I interrupt my studies for several semesters, do I have to reapply each semester for exemption from tuition fees?

No. A single request together with notification of the duration of interruption is sufficient.

For third-country nationals who have a close relationship to Austria according to the provisions governing admission of certain groups of students, the tuition fee is not EUR €726.72 but EUR €363.36 as is the case for E.U. citizens. Who can I contact if I have further questions relating to this topic?

The Legal Department of the FH OÖ (recht@fh-ooe.at) is available in an advisory capacity to third country nationals who are affected by this regulation (e.g. regarding documentation needed as proof of the close relationship).

Austrian Law: Groups of persons